First Year Mission Statement

This first year is a kind of audition to show I can successfully produce on a larger scale and enjoy it. Rules for myself:
1. MINIMAL CAPITAL INPUTS. Never buy what you can recycle, repurpose, fabricate, borrow, trade or scrounge.

2. MAXIMUM PRODUCE OUTPUTS. Make the most of available space by efficient planning, rotation and vertical growth.
3. DON'T FORGET IT'S A RENTAL. Maintain healthy pre-existing trees and sod when practical.
4. KEEP THOROUGH RECORDS. Dates, dollars, varietals, successes, setbacks - track 'em all.


Tuesday, May 24, 2011

BEFORE AND AFTER

This part of the yard was pretty bald when I moved in a year ago so it was first to be converted to garden space. I tried to leave the healthy sod on either side of the bald patch intact. Not that I want to grow grass much, but it's a rental so I'm not going to tear out healthy sod.  Lucky for me, that only accounts for about 1/4 of the backyard.  The rest is weeds and bare patches.

I decided to edge the garden so I could use the weedwhacker to keep the grass out of the garden.  Spent about $25 on edging and $4 on a sack of stakes to hold it up because I didn't feel like digging it all in - sometimes I conserve energy as well as money.  Single-dug the whole bed and mulched heavily with manure and leaf mulch. 


Made a spot for my grill, which I rescued from the trash. Another freebie.  The pavers under it came with the place. Still more room in the bed. Think I'll fill the rest with eggplants and herbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment